Monday, September 07, 2009
DIY Felt Heart - Tell someone you love them!
I made these little hearts yesterday. They are to send with my kids to school so that when they see the heart they know their family loves them. This is the first year my kids won't be together at home or together at the same school and I wanted to send a little reminder.
This one is going in a pencil box.
This one is going on a backpack.
They took me 30 minutes to make both. You only need the smallest bits of felt (I used synthetic felt but any type will do). Here's what to do:
1. Find a heart shape you like on the internet and print it out.
2. Trace the heart onto butcher paper. (I love using butcher paper for patterns! I iron the butcher paper (plastic side down) at a very low setting right onto the felt.)
3. Cut out around the pattern. You need TWO of the same sized heart.
4. Discard the butcher paper.
5. Sew the edges of the heart together using the blanket stitch.
6. Stop sewing when you have about 3/4 of an inch left to go.
7. Stuff the heart using fiberfill (or even scraps of fabric or yarn).
8. Continue sewing until the two felt hearts are completely sewn together along the edges.
9. Tell someone you love them!