Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Handmade Necklaces

Have you noticed all the broken, ugly, or not-quite-right jewelry at thrift stores and garage sales?  All you need are a couple tools, jewelry findings or wire (relatively inexpensive), and your own creativity to make unique jewelry.  

I try to buy used/thrifted whenever possible.  It's cheaper and it's better for the environment.  Plus, I love the treasure hunt!

I have been making my own jewelry out of thrifted pieces.  I turn old necklaces into bracelets, earrings into pendants, cut beaded necklaces apart to use the beads in rings, rip apart belts to use as bracelets.  I've been having a great time - and I'm selling some of my creations in my etsy shop.  Here are a few of the things I've just listed:


This pendant necklace is one of the many pieces of jewelry I've made with vintage buttons and wire.  I've made rings, bracelets, and necklaces.  I got this button from my sweet grandmother.  Update:  I decided to keep this one for myself!  I had this white shirt I never really liked wearing.  Adding this pendant to the outfit made the shirt work for me!




These three necklaces are all made with the beads from the same ugly necklace I bought at a garage sale.  The beads look like that chalky/chewy candy grandmas always have in their houses.  The original necklace was on a string that was totally stretched out.  It was unwearable.  I removed all the beads and turned them into a number of creations.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your information, it was really very helpfull..
    Bracelets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information. necklaces

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Informative Blog having nice sharing.. costume jewellery necklaces

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think of my posts! Leave a comment below.