Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Garden Fence


OK, this is going to be difficult to explain. I didn't take any how to pictures.

My garden is in the only sunny spot in my yard. There is one corner that gets more sun than the rest. I wanted my tomatoes to go into that corner. However, I needed access to that corner and I needed a fence. I had to figure out a way to use that corner but also fence it in.



I fenced in my garden using plastic chicken wire. I sunk some fence posts in at 3 - 4 foot spacing. The chicken wire is sunk into the ground so no animal could dig under it. Instead of permanently attaching the chicken wire to the fence post I made little bungee straps to hold the fencing to the fence post.

I can un-latch the bungee cords to lay down the fencing. When the fence is layed down I can step on it, kneel on it, and have access to the garden boxes. Because it's plastic, it doesn't hurt to kneel on. When I'm done with my planting (or what not) I just lift the fence back up and bungee cord it to the fence posts. This way the fence can be right up against the box, taking advantage of the sunniest spot in my garden. It works like a charm.



The straps that hold the fence to the posts are made of bungee cord (pretty thin) and hex nuts. Measure out approximately 6 inches of bungee cord. Thread the bungee cord through the hex nut and tie it off using an overhand knot.

Feed the bungee through the fence, around the fence post, and back out through the fence. Wrap it over the hex nut and it'll hold the fence to the fence post.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Van Kouteren says that the recent study estimates demand for plastic fence materials in the North American residential market to be over $600 millionsteel fence

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think of my posts! Leave a comment below.