Tuesday, July 10, 2012

One of my favorite necklaces

I love how this necklace turned out.


This necklace is made from one of the tiny squares of quilting fabric passed down to me by my grandmother.   She used to be an avid quilter but hasn't quilted in years (she's 92 years old!). The fabrics she handed down to me date from the 1960s - 1980s. The squares were just too tiny for my quilting skills so I set about figuring out what to do with them.  Most of the squares were unique (meaning there was just one tiny 2 inch square of that print in the whole pile).



That's grandma right there!  This photo is circa 1980s.  I'm the one in the lower left.




After much trial and error, I figured out a good way to adhere the tiny bits of fabric to a metal pendant. This endeavor started as a labor of love as I wanted to make some jewelry for all my family members.  Well, as you can see...I got hooked!  


The fabric set into these trays really sets off the beauty of the fabric itself.  They look like little works of art!  I love the look of surprise on someone's face when they've complimented me on my jewelry and I tell them it's fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think of my posts! Leave a comment below.