Sunday, July 08, 2012

Memory Calendar DIY (Friday DIY inspired)


I saw this great idea for an ongoing calendar on DesignSponge and decided to make one for myself!  (Previously blogged on my Friday DIY.)  It's my birthday today and my memory calendar will restart on July 8th every year.  Today, before I go to bed, I'm going to write one line of what I did today. Then, I'll put today's notecard at the back of the bin.  Every night before sleep, I'll record something I did on that date.  This first year will be filling up the first line of every notecard.


Next year, I'll get to read about last year and then fill in a line for 2013.  Then, in 2014 I'll read about what I did on that day the previous two years and record something for 2014.  Get it?

I'm going to make one for each of my kids, too.  I love the idea that every time you turn the page of your calendar you can see what that day was like in previous years!  And I love finishing the day with such a simple act of journaling.

The DIY on DesignSponge requires cutting the notecards to fit her cute berry box.  I didn't want to mess around with cutting over 150 notecards so I modified the DIY a bit.

MATERIALS:

Notecards (400 - 3" by 5" cards- that's enough for every day and extras for mistakes)
Bin  (TIP: Buy the notecards first.  Then take the notecards with you while you look for a bin.  This will ensure your notecards fit!)
11 Photographs or Postcards (to divide the months)
Date Stamp
Inking pad



I bought my notecards at the dollar store.  I found the photos and post cards in my photo albums.  I got the bin, stamp, and inking pad at Michaels.  I DID look around the dollar store and my own home for a bin but didn't find anything that fit quite right.

Making the calendar takes some time but it's very easy!  


I stamped the day (without the year) in the upper right hand corner of the notecard.  Then, along the left side of the notecard, I stamped the date (including the year).  Note:  I only stamped the future years on this first card, just to show you.  I will add the stamps for upcoming years on the other cards next year when the calendar starts again!




I took some pictures of how I lined up my stamp to produce the date stamp without the year.  You just need to put a scrap piece of paper under your notecard so that when you stamp the date only the month and day end up on the notecard.  The year ends up on the scrap paper.

I'm so pleased with how it turned out!  I can't wait to start writing in it.


If you make one please include a link to your project in the comments.  I'd love to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think of my posts! Leave a comment below.