Friday, August 03, 2012

DIY Rainbow Sun Catcher (or backpack charm)


Dollar Store Crafts is running a contest again this month.  This time you take school supplies from the dollar store and turn them into something distinctly NOT school supply-ish.

I intended to make a piece of jewelry with these but I would have needed a bunch of supplies that you can't find at the dollar store.  I wanted to challenge myself to figure out some other way of showcasing these cuties and ONLY use school supplies!  I think I did it!



Look at these cuties!  They are Stackable Crayons and I found them at the dollar store.  The colors are what drew me in.

To make this rainbow sun catcher (or backpack charm) you need:

Stackable Crayons
A large paper clip
Small needle nosed pliers


STEP 1:  Pull apart the crayons.  Straighten the paper clip.


STEP 2: Thread the crayons onto the paper clip.

STEP 3:  Using your pliers, wind the end of the paper clip around itself to create a swirl.  This swirl will be at the bottom of your sun catcher and should be large enough that the paper clip won't slip up through the beads.  Make sure you leave enough wire at the top of the sun catcher for the next step.

STEP 4:  using your pliers, make a loop at the top of your sun catcher.


STEP 5:  Hang it somewhere and enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. What a fun craft. This is something I could do with my grandson. Great tutorial. Thanks for the nice visit and following. I am following you back. Looking forward to more of your posts. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so creative!! I love it. I would have never thought of doing that. Your newest follower from the G+ blog hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love love LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aren't they colorful and sparkly? My kids love them, too.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, Michelle! I just clicked over to see your blog. I didn't realize it was you! I've been following your blog for such a long time. How exciting to see you over here on my little ol' blog! *faints*

      Delete
  4. Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/rainbow-backpack-charm/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think of my posts! Leave a comment below.